Tuesday, January 7, 2014

A shocking opinion

I have wanted to post for some time, but life with family and work and church and well... life... has kept me busy. But today something got my goat. It was an opinion piece in the Washington Post by Jonathan Capehart. The overall article about the possible outing of congressman Aaron Schock was fine, but this section bugged me: "Of course, if Schock were gay I would urge him to come out. The closet is a terrible place. It’s a prison that forces you to lock up your true self or compromise yourself in regretable ways. And it’s a thief that robs you of the life you are meant to lead and the person you are meant to lead it with."

As someone in the closet who may or may not come out one day I'm offended that someone presumes to say I'm leading anything other than the life I was meant to lead. I have an amazing family that would beg to differ.

3 comments:

  1. I believe each person will and should live their life according to how they see fit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe each person will and should live their life according to how they see fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the end of the day that's why we are here on earth, to become what God wants us to be. It just bothers me when people assume that my choice to not act on my homosexual impulses is regrettable. True, it is a life of compromise, but aren't all lives filled with compromise? And compromise isn't necessarily regrettable.

      Delete