Friday, December 11, 2015

Is it a sin?

"Is homosexuality a sin?"

This question I can only answer for myself. As I listen to my wife and son singing Rent together at the piano I realize how richly blessed I am. As we laugh together around the dinner table, I realize how richly blessed I am. I believe that for me, choosing homosexuality would have been against God's will for me because He wanted to bless me with this amazing family. (That does not make it easy day to day, but I do have some confidence that it is aligned with God's will for me in my life.)

But I don't speak for you.

I will say, however, I fear we often get so caught up in absolutes that we fail to recognize possible exceptions. Somehow, in a Handbook that found room for divorce and even abortion exceptions, we can't comprehend the possibility that, for some, gay marriage may be the best option. (I get that you can't write rules around exceptions. You've got to draw a line in the sandbox. Unfortunately when that line leaves little room for the variation in God's creation, many just choose to find a new sandbox.)

I have my answer. And I promise to support others as they get their own personal answer for what's right for them.


No comments:

Post a Comment